Here is what you will need to make these super delicious vegan summer cupcakes:
Makes 12 cupcakes:
- 4 tbsp (vegan) butter or margarine at room temperature
- 2/3cup sugar
- 2tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg replacement (I used 2 tbsp flax seed meal and 6 tbsp water, but if you are not vegan feel free to use 2 eggs)
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk (such as plain soy milk)
- 7 oz strawberries (about 8 strawberries), pureed (try raspberries or maybe even peach)
- Preheat your oven to 325F and lightly grease a muffin pan.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter/margarine, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg replacement, then add in the flour and baking powder and stir until well combined.
- Lastly add in the pureed strawberries. The batter will look nice and pink.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
And if you are worried that these might taste funky, I assure you they taste wonderful. I never use milk or eggs in my baking and no one has ever noticed a difference. I halved the recipe yesterday and made 6 cupcakes, and what can I say... they were gone by bedtime. In addition, they don't need fancy frosting. They are wonderful with just a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of melted chocolate.